Law enforcement investigate alleged PUBG addiction murder: MoS

0

Quoting a news article stating that “a child killed his mother under the influence of PUBG”, Union Minister of State for Electronics and Information Technology Rajeev Chandrasekhar said that law enforcement was investigating to find the reason behind the same.

Reports and complaints of banned apps appearing in new avatars using similar names have been forwarded to the Home Ministry for consideration, the minister said in a written response to the Rajya Sabha on Friday.

Chandrasekhar, while answering a question on whether crimes are committed under the influence of PUBG, further told the upper house that the PUBG gaming app has been banned by the electronics ministry. and Information Technology (MEITY) in 2020 and was not available in the country.

Chandrasekhar in a written response said that there was a media report that a child killed his mother based on PUBG which he was playing which is being investigated by LEAs (agencies law enforcement) to find the reason. But, PUBG game app was blocked by MeitY in 2020 and PUBG game is not available in India since then, he added.

The minister was referring to the case where a 16-year-old boy addicted to the online game PUBG shot and killed his mother for arresting him and keeping his body hidden in their house for two days. He even threatened and locked up his younger sister to make sure no one informed the police.

For two days to hide the crime, he not only threatened his sister, but also used deodorant to hide the smell of the decomposed body. It was only when the stench of the decomposing body became unbearable that he informed his father, the army personnel stationed in West Bengal. He is currently in custody and the murder weapon has been found.

The Minister said that MEITY has received various reports and grievances that blocked apps are appearing with new avatars using similar sounding names or rebranded with the same functionality, adding that all such reports have been forwarded to the Home Office for exam.

Chandrasekhar said the government’s goals are to ensure an open, safe, reliable and responsible internet for its users, while answering a question about the government’s order to remove mobile apps and the reason behind the removal of apps at from 2020.

He said the government had notified the 2021 Information Technology Rules (Guidelines for Intermediaries and Digital Media Code of Ethics), in a separate written response.

The minister also said that the rules provide for the removal of apps, if found to be illegal under applicable law, through Playstore or Appstore at the request of an appropriate government or its authorized agency, adding that MEITY does not retains no details about the deletion. mobile applications according to IT rules, 2021.

Catch all the trade news, market news, breaking news and latest updates on Live Mint. Download the Mint News app to get daily market updates.

More less

To subscribe to Mint Bulletins

* Enter a valid email

* Thank you for subscribing to our newsletter.

Share.

Comments are closed.